January 11, 2006

Train announcements

Two days ago, I was in my usual route taking the MRT from Cubao to Ayala. The first train came along, and I wasn't able to ride on it due to the sheer volume of passengers. However, I was next in line when the next train rolled by.

I went in, got pushed a little, and the doors closed.

The train didn't move for a while, then from the speakers, the driver blared out.

"Huwag pipigilan ang pinto sa pagsara! Masisira niyo ito!" (Don't stop the door from closing! You will destroy it!"

My imagination started working overtime how that could happen. I mean, isn't the MRT door like the elevator door where you could stop it from closing? Plus, I believe that the MRT door is much stronger when it closes. Imagine if a finger got in the way of the door; goodbye finger! Will the door get removed from its slot when you stop it? Wow, that's like WWE's Mark Henry removing the door from the cage in the last Smackdown.

After a few minutes, the train moved. A little more than five minutes away from Cubao, the driver again blared, this time in a more irritated voice.

"Pakiusap! Huwag niyong pipigilan ang pinto sa pagsara! Masisira ito! Sabi nang huwag niyong pigilan!" (Please! Don't stop the door from closing! It will break! I already told you don't stop it (from closing)!

Interesting. We just left Cubao, and nowhere near the next station, yet, if you follow the message, someone's still trying to get in! What's worse, a door is still open while we are in the middle of the tracks! Could it be that it actually happened? A door was still open by that time, or someone actually got stuck there?

You can really tell that the driver is pissed. I could feel it in his voice that if he gets anymore irritated, he'll jump off the train.

----

Yesterday, the announcement in the Megatrain was pretty amusing considering that it was the first time I heard it spoken in straight and full English.

"The next station is Santolan. This is the last station. Please double check your belongings. Thank you for supporting the Megatrain and have a pleasant evening."

It sounds so much better than the broken Tagalog they usually use.

Yet, you can hear in the voice that he's having a hard time pronouncing and saying the announcement. Probably, he's reading it off a piece of paper or something.

No comments: