December 17, 2003

The power of the written art

Many belittle the power of the written art. Comments like "Text bores me. Where are the pictures?" show this lack of respect. Now witness as the written word hollers his mighty roar in these examples below.



It's a photo of Fr. Nebres, the president of the Ateneo, from the current issue of the Guidon.

Their caption: Homes for the poor. Fr. Bienvenido Nebres leads the Ateneo community in building houses in Payatas for the Gawad Kalinga project.

Makes sense right? But what if we change the caption to:
Keeping up with the times. Ateneans teach Fr. Bienvenido Nebres the latest dance crazes, Otso-otso and Ispagheti.

Simple words change the meaning of the entire picture.

Another example -- Around 5:30 p.m. today, Jen and I walked to the Encomium. She will have a gig tonight (sayang, I couldn't go since I had this Philosophy long test and Basic Illustration plate to do.) at around 9 p.m. Along the way, we were discussing some funny events when we accidentally raised the volume of our voices that people started looking at you funny. When we got there, she introduced me to some of her friends. Jen suggested to Jordan to do that Una poem with me. Amazingly, after like five minutes, we were able to construct a poem that somehow made sense just by getting from an amalgam of spur-of-the-moment words. The end result, Lightning Test. Wow. Instant art from virtually nothing. Plus, it is somewhat of a psychology lesson where my subconscious and Jordan's "talked" --- or that's how he explained the bizzare happening.

Words are power. 'Nuff said.

---cut here---

I had a difficult time waking up earlier; I had no class this day so there was no immediate drive to wake up. Then it suddenly struck me, my cell group with Joe and company was today. I grabbed my laptop (to do some computerized work later), my school notebook and went to school. Talk about dedicated :).

After the enlightening session, we saw Mia pass by and joined us. She showed me the photos from the yearly Oblation run in UP --- to which she commented that "she wasn't impressed." I let her view the funny Michael Jackson statement Flash movie in my laptop; you should've seen her priceless reactions while she viewed it. She added a part in our spontaneous fictional story Jen and I started (now, the story is back with Jen.) Plus, she got addicted with the Fame Academy PC game that she would've stayed glued to her seat 'til dark. However, the battery was low and asked us to close all programs. Oh well, there's always the next time.

I met Migs again after his interview in the placement office. We momentarily went back to his house to print some stuff for Heights and retrieve his Mom's laptop to do his Philo Long test later. We went to the comm dept to start working on our respective Philosophy long tests. After I plugged in and turned on my laptop, Jen texted me "Milo whr r u? r u in skul?". Apparently, she wanted me to do something so I texted back saying that I'm on my way to RSF.

When I got there, I saw her typing away her Philo long test on a computer in the RSF. How many times did I say Philo long test in this entry? She just finished the last part of her paper and she wanted me to edit it. So, I got the file, placed it in my laptop and we proofread it together. Of course, we exchanged anecdotes while doing it.

We ran across some topics like that soiree we both attended but never knew that each one existed, and our dear friend, Mon Codera's death recently. May God rest his soul.

Then the Encomium thing happened next --- see abpve for the details.

---

So kids, gain power by reading a lot. It will help you a lot in the future.

Music:
Mandy Moore - Moonshadow
Mood:
Stressed but Cheerful

No comments: