July 01, 2004

Never ApART anymore

I can't wait for the Fine Arts GA where all of the Fine arts majors from freshman year to senior year would conglomorate into one venue. I finally got my wish (that I've been clamoring before) to meet with all the people who have the guts to enter a course as stable as a platform of clouds in the job market.

I wanted a link to each FA year level so that we all could support each other -- freshies adjusting to the requirements of the Ateneo, sophies searching for their respective genre, juniors looking for the right electives, seniors needing man power for their practicum.

I wanted a place to ease a main problem of the Fine Arts people, which I experienced before and even up to now, the fear of writing. A huge chunk of pressure is placed on the shoulders of the FA students since more or less, we are expected to write better than students from other courses, a pressure I experienced when Sir Labella back then in En 11 constantly compared our lackluster descriptive essays (*sorry to brag* but I did manage to impress him with mine [it is found online in Skylab Magazine in aplomblue.iscool.net entitled "Watching Cherry Blossoms"]) to a person in his other class who wrote about eating a baguette. In his description, he could almost taste the baguette in the essay.

I wanted to share my experiences as a 4-year mainstay in the Creative Writing course so that the future doesn't shock them that bad. This is not an easy course, as some students may think. We must develop an ability to be able to write, and write creatively at that, and our writing prowess cannot be quantified in a single answer. Unlike a math solution where 1+1 is always equal to two, writing has different styles and different results. No one is forced to write the "Shakespeare" way, the "Remoto" way, the "Yuson" way. We are individuals, each providing his or her own answer to that problem, that 2 in 1+1.

Here's hoping that unity will reign in one of the most oppressed courses in the Ateneo.

No comments: