September 04, 2003

You can't please everyone...

In Theology, we were given a situation:

A terrorist group holds you and others as hostage. The leader of the terrorists gives you a gun with one bullet in it, and he forces your hand to place the gun on the side of your friend's head. He asks you to pull the trigger because if you don't, he will push the bomb trigger he is holding that will blow up a nearby building with 200 people in it, including your family and your friend's family.

You cannot turn around and shoot the terrorist because there are snipers around with their guns pointed at you. Their laser sights keep sweeping throughout your head. The second that they suspect that you are attempting anything funny, you're dead, and the same goes for the other 200 people in the other building since you didn't do what they asked.

So basically, you only have two options, shoot your friend and save 200 people or do not do anything and risk losing 200 people.

----
What would be your choice?
----

----

----

----

I won't shoot anyone. I won't give them any inkling of an idea that they have the power to force anyone to obey them. I won't give them the idea that they are "God". If they blow up the building and killed the 200 people there, it is the terrorists' fault. I didn't have anything to do with their decision.

My options are suppressed by humans. It is not God who offered me that option.

Impractical? By saving 200 people may be practical for you today, but you might spend the rest of your days paying, in one way or another, for killing your friend ---> making it really impractical.

As a result, I abided by not one, but two of the absolute rules of the Church: Thou shalt not kill an innocent person directly, and Thou shalt not lead anyone to sin.

When Judgment day comes, God won't ask me "Why did you press the bomb trigger?" because I didn't.

There's always risk involved when you choose either side. You may have a whole mob angry at you for not saving their loved ones. It is difficult I know, but did anyone say it wasn't? However, at least by choosing this side, you have some guarantees (like the Judgment in Judgment day) that the other option couldn't give.

Therefore, it is their decision to mock or make fun of me, to blow up the building because I didn't do anything, because I didn't fight back.

As long as I'm not the one leading them to sin.

9 days.

Music:
Cheeky Girls - Take your Shoes Off (cheeky, I know)
Mood:
Neutral

No comments: