March 08, 2004

Resolve is victory

"I don't want to lose my voice, not now, especially since the orals are just around the corner."

Words were kept at bay today as I had a sore throat with its companions, a cold and cough. The war inside my head subsided that I could think and act straight now.

So I faced the day with a huge kink in my armor. I could walk only as fast as the pool player "Amang" Parica in fear that I might have a relapse. My stamina reached had gone below normal levels. But there must be a epiphany today... something that would somehow resolve this low feeling.

Finally...
The Rockets defeated the Dallas Mavericks UNBELIEVABLY due to the fact that they had 30 TURNOVERS (20 coming from steals)! Wassupwitdat?! If they can get 30 turnovers and still get the W, they would lord any team in the NBA! Before today, they lost six consecutive games to the Mavs.
As I always said before, "let Yao lead the way." That they did. Yao scored 20 points in the first half alone (14 in the first) and ended the game with 29 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks.
Let me reiterate again, this win was unbelievable! Odds were against the Rockets. Aside from the 30 turnovers, their key players had shooting problems. Steve Francis (4-10 `what's new') had 11 points, Mobley (4-12) had 13, and Weatherspoon (3-10) had 10. How the heck did they win?
Maybe the Mavs' Antoine Walker scoring only 9 points was the reason. Or Shawn Bradley doing what he does best... nothing.
No... it was Yao, the crucial 5 points in the end killed the Mavs.
Being a Houston fan, this was a great victory for me.

Down the Wire
Putting my second winning streak (revived on January 26, 2004) on the line, I played our "almost weekly" billiards with Migs earlier.
I won the first two racks, both by making long shots with very thin cuts on the nine ball. Migs then stormed back to tie the game at two-all. A mishap by Migs made the score 3-2. It tied again at 3-3. Migs made an unbelievable three-ball combination using one rail bringing the score to 4-3. I managed to force a sudden death by winning the next rack.
Fast forward into the final rack --- I am left with the 7, 8 and 9 balls with ball-in-hand. Putting right-side english on the ball, I pocketed the 7-ball on the lower right hand pocket. Since I don't know anything about placing (one point I need to improve in my game), I was forced to take a long cut shot at the eight. Putting follow on the ball, I managed to pocket the 8-ball on the upper-left hand pocket.
Unfortunately, I did not put enough power in my stroke. The cue ball stopped in the 2 by 2 diamond area on the upper-right hand pocket while the nine-ball was in the 2.5 by 1 diamond area on the lower-right hand pocket. The positions of both balls made it impossible to make the nine ball in the lower-right hand pocket, and impossible to cut it to the lower-left hand pocket. It was a wide bank, and a far one at that so it wasn't easy.
Risking everything, I attempted for a bank to the lower left hand pocket. AND I made it, in basketball terms, nothing but the bottom of the net. This gave me the W and another day in my winning streak.

Surprising
I said in my last post that I viewed my story I submitted for Krip Yuson's class as garbage. However, when I got back my story from him, he told me that aside from a few technical errors (punctuation, redundancy), he liked it (especially the wit of the riddles). It was, to quote him, "very imaginative".
Surprise. Surprise. :) yippee! I'll discuss with him my revised work next week. Hopefully, it can garner an A so it could increase my chances of getting an A for this class. I so want it, so I can add one more A for this year. (See previous post on my grades goal)

Music:
Britney Spears - Stronger
Mood:
Still sick but joyful

No comments: