April 27, 2006

The Power is in the Consumer's hands

For Nokia and other units, more often than not, you have to go to a service center/tiangge service center to have the firmware upgraded to the latest version. If you want to do it at home, you have to buy accessories, cables, and find the correct firmware update somewhere in the internet. So usually, owners of such units have to stick with their firmware version with all its bugs, quirks, and what-nots.

This part is where Sony Ericsson phones shine. You can update its firmware in your very own house without an inkling of technological knowledge. All accessories needed are found in the box that comes with your phone purchase. You just have to download an updater software in the official Sony Ericsson website, and it will guide you every step of the way.

Bug killing
In my current firmware version, R1N035, there are quite a number of annoying bugs that need to be fixed. One of the major bugs was the USB transfer bug. This bug can misplace the files, or even go on as corrupting the files and/or the memory stick after transferring the files from the USB cable. Now I knew the reason why some of my files went missing even if I uploaded them to the memory stick several times.

Another bug was this firmware drains the battery more than the other versions by around 20%. This was very noticeable since I had to charge my phone almost every day and a half.

I decided that it is best to do a firmware upgrade on my phone. When I learned that the latest one fixes all of these, and even improves the overall performance of the phone, I said, "Heck, why not? What could possibly go wrong?"

Bomb Scare
Since my sister hogged the computer the entire night due to her ACLC work, I only had the time to do it in the morning. I've downloaded the updater software yesterday, so I just installed it, did the instructions and all. Unfortunately, it wasn't finished by the time I had to leave for the office so I requested my mom to watch over it, and text me for updates (luckily, I still have my old Nokia phone.)

While I was on the train, my mom texted me a disturbing message that the update failed. I asked my mom to try and turn on the phone, but when she tried, it wouldn't open. I've read stories and complaints about botched Ericsson firmware upgrades, so I feared for the worst. I even consulted the Sony Ericsson personnel in Glorietta if they could repair phones that have been damaged by firmware upgrades.

Bomb Hoax
When I got back home, I quickly tried the phone out. It was working fine. I checked the firmware on the phone, and it said that it had the latest version. I reupgraded again since it may have been a partial upgrade, and after less than twenty minutes, the update was completed without any problems. I tested the phone the entire evening, and I'm happy to say that all the bugs were gone, and I have a slightly faster and better phone performance-wise.

Perfect. Just in time for my company outing to Subic next weekend.

No comments: