Lessons in billiards
Quality over quantity: There are nine balls on the table. However, it doesn't matter if you pocket the most balls in a rack. All that matters is that yellow and white striped 9-ball. If you don't pocket the nine-ball, you don't win the game.
Ball by ball: There are nine balls on the table, but you only need to pocket the nine-ball to win the game. However, you couldn't reach that goal without going through the obstacles first. Eight balls seem a long way just to get to that nine, but you just need to take each obstacle ball by ball. Sometimes, you would fail to put away that obstacle. Sometimes, you could use that obstacle as a tool to reach that goal. Sometimes, you would luckily solve the problem without you knowing it, hence the term, serendipity, or divine intervention. No matter what the case is, eventually, you'll reach that nine.
You are a factor: Sure, there are many factors that contribute into reaching a goal. Take for example, a goal of getting a perfect score in a quiz. Your grade can depend on the difficulty of the questions, the time factor, the stress, the humidity of the day, the mood of the teacher, and more. This is much like nine-ball, you don't know where the balls will land when you break. The felt on the table can become a factor, the amount of chalk, the length and flexibility of your cue stick, the condition of the balls, and more. But you also hold a factor, you control the cue ball in a number of ways. Add spin, hit it strong or weak, make it jump or curve, and more. It won't guarantee you winning the rack, but at least, you know that you can control something, and not let other factors dictate it for you. In the quiz example above, you have the studying factor. It wouldn't guarantee a perfect grade, but at least, it helps, maybe less, maybe more. The society shapes us, and at the same time, we shape the society. You have a say, you are a factor.
There are different solutions: In 9-ball, there are six holes you could pick to make the balls, and each one could be a solution to that obstacle. Some are readily available, some are not. There is also no one perfect way of doing something. You could pick the top-right corner pocket, and make the ball. Same with the top-left corner pocket.
Just little ways of how things around us can teach something.
By the way, Migs and I played 9-ball earlier in Sta. Lucia. And hopefully, just like what happened in the game earlier, the Spurs would sweep the Lakers in the NBA. Score was 5-0.
A little something for the road
Love Song For No One
by John Mayer
Staying home alone on a Friday
Flat on the floor looking back
On old love
Or lack thereof
After all the crushes are faded
And all my wishful thinking was wrong
I'm jaded
I hate it
I'm tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
So tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
Searching all my days just to find you
I'm not sure who I'm looking for
I'll know it
When I see you
Until then, I'll hide in my bedroom
Staying up all night just to write
A love song for no one
I'm tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
So tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
I could have met you in a sandbox
I could have passed you on the sidewalk
Could I have missed my chance
And watched you walk away?
I'm tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
So tired of being alone
So hurry up and get here
You'll be so good
You'll be so good for me
No comments:
Post a Comment